This information has been requested by some IT personnel, to know how computers should be setup to get the best out of sign planet. Most computers need no special setup.
SignPlanet.net has been designed to be used on the most basic of computers. Broadband is highly recommended.
Web Browsers we have tested:
- A computer with an internet connection
- A Web Browser must be installed (see below)
- Adobe Acrobat: This free PDF viewer is required to view most of the pre-made resources. Other viewers can be used, but have not been extensively tested. You can download acrobat here
- Flash: even an early version should be able to view our video clips. The site will work without it, but you will not be able to view the video files without it. You will be prompted to install Flash if it is not already on your computer, and yes, it's free
- Screen resolution: We recommend at least 800x600, which is a low specification these days
- Broadband Connection: While this site is highly optimised to increase speed by decreasing the size of files (and thus also your data costs), it is dealing with many images and video as well, so more speed is better. The most basic ADSL account is 256 Kilobits per second, and we would consider this the minimum. If your are in an area without broadband, we would suggest looking at a wireless connection (if available) or even a satellite internet connection. We have used both these methods and found them highly suitable for SignPlanet. Government subsidies are available.
Operating Systems tested:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, 4-8
- Chrome (Google Browser), Chrome Mobile
- Apple Safari
- Firefox - has a known issue with selecting signs from multiple results in the text-to-keysign converter
- While we have tested with these browsers, we cannot test every change with every browser, every time. Please let us know if you experience a problem.
SignPlanet Mobile: This comes in two versions
- Windows, whether 95,98,Me,XP,Vista,Windows 7
- Mac OS and OSX
- Android - Only later versions have flash for video, otherwise should be OK
- iOS - Used in iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad - None support flash, so you will not be able to view video's otherwise most site tested - needs more testing
- Try it now